Nuffnang

Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Year, New Post, and Hopefully, More in the Coming Days and Months


AP Photo/Aaron Favila

When I created this blog. I rediscovered my passion for writing, especially about people and things I am passionate about. But, due to unavoidable circumstances, I had to put this on hold until I just could not find the momentum anymore. From week one of not being able to update this blog, my daughters were the ones pestering me to continue writing. This new year, Isabelle, after explaining what new year's resolutions are and extracting from her and Ilysse, their own, reminded me that one of my new year's resolutions should be to update my blog. Thus, here I am, fulfilling my daughters' simple request and once again, realizing the immense joy I get from writing.

I have been meaning to write about Isabelle's bout with a serious viral infection in November 2008 that made her temperature spiral to 40 degrees Celsius for more than two days and cough like a mad dog. As always, there was a fear that it could be dengue or a bacterial infection. Notwithstanding my doubts and fears that I was not giving my child the proper medication, I continued giving her oregano for the coughs and the Apis/Belladonna drops (a homeopathic medicine) for the fever. When these medication did not seem to work anymore, I had to get in touch with Dr. Cricket Chen, a pediatrician practicing homeopathy, whom I have recommended in my earlier posts. She advised me to continue giving the Apis/Belladonna and to just continue giving oregano when I disclosed that I have been giving Isabelle the said herb. She also prescribed Mercurius Virus Powder, the equivalent of an antibiotic in conventional medicine, but without the harsh and harmful effects, and Pulsatilla drops for her sinus congestion. She did not find Isabelle to have any bacterial infection and after a blood test done, my daughter was also cleared of the highly-feared dengue fever. After only 2 days since we saw Dr. Chen, Isabelle appeared like she did not endure a week of high fever and coughs.

That incident confirmed again my belief in alternative, homeopathic and/or herbal medicine, although I am not exactly closing my doors on traditional medicine since I, myself, have gone through traditional medical procedures. As a way to start the new year, I would like to extend my sincerest gratitude to people like Dr. Chen, and all the others around the world who tread the unconventional path to wellness. They have been ridiculed, even sabotaged, but they remain steadfast in their science and principles.

No comments: