Nuffnang

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Boosting Your Child's Brain


A favorite author of mine, Patrick Holford, is a leading authority on nutrition and mental health. Among the more than twenty health books he has authored, I have his Six Weeks to Super Health, Food is Better Medicine Than Drugs, and Optimum Nutrition for your Child's Brain. Undoubtedly, the last book is the one that I treasure the most. It is packed with relevant and useful information as it teaches parents how to develop their child's concentration and focus, boost IQ and creative thinking, improve reading and writing, enhance memory, and improve mood and behavior. It is definitely a must-read for all parents who want to maximize their child's potential.

You can easily gather from this book that the most important nutrient that a child should have, aside from an optimum diet and a daily intake of multivitamins are the essential fats, the so-called omega-3 and omega-6 essential fats. These essential fats help children stay physically healthy, reducing the risk of allergies, asthma, eczema, and infections. The most important omega-3 fats are DHA and EPA, which are now being marketed by milk companies as brain boosters. The most important omega-6 fat is GLA, the richest source being borage. Mr. Holford recommends supplementing kids with these nutrients considering their poor diet and the not-so-common sources of these fats. He listed down the sources as follows:

Omega-3-flaxseeds, hempseed, pumpkin seeds
Omega-6 corn, safflower, sunflower
EPA and DHA- salmon, preferably wild and not farmed so as to limit mercury poisoning, mackerel, herring, sardines, anchovies, tuna steak, eggs (of flaxseed-fed hen)
GLA-evening primrose oil, borage oil, black currant seed.

I have given Isabelle and Ilysse Flaxseed Oil before but considering the taste, I had a hard time coaxing them in taking it. I usually add it to their milk which, however, they can still detect because of its strong and distinct taste. Luckily, I found Yummi Bears, Omega-3,6,9. I alternate this with Lil Critters' Omega-3 Gummy Fish. I have been giving them these supplements for over a year now and I am happy to report that they are simply working wonders on my children.

2 comments:

Ronah Lyn Hernandez said...

Hi Rachel!
I love reading your posts as I am also into introducing healthy and organic food to my daugther. I have a question, where can we buy Yummi Bears, Omega 3-6-9? Can we buy them here in the Philippines? Thanks!

Ronah Lyn Hernandez said...

Hi Rachel,

I love reading your blogs. They are helping me a lot, specially now that I am introducing to my child healthy and organic foods. Where can we buy Yummi Bears or Omega 3-6-9? Can we buy them here in the Philippines. I searched the net but I guess they're available only in the US? Thanks much!