Nuffnang

Friday, September 12, 2008

Only Recourse

I was born a worrywart. I worry about a lot of things. At the age of seven, I remember always saying my litany of prayers when my dad would come home late from work. I became more of a worrywart when I had Isabelle and Ilysse. In fact, I must admit my worries sometimes bordered on absurdity. When they were babies and at the stage when they would put everything in their mouths, I had all their toys disinfected every single day. Now that they both go to school, I worry about their safety and health, about them being bullied, about them being unhappy, and a host of other mundane things.

Although I have come to realize long before that 99% of the time, my worries have remained to be simply worries, I still could not help but worry, especially for the welfare of my daughters. It has only been recently that I have started deconstructing this mindset when I began reading Stormie Omartian's The Power of a Praying Parent. I found refuge in the book's conviction that by simply praying and trusting the word of God, my children will be protected and guided for life. I just have to pray and let go.

What I like about this prayer book is that it covers all aspects of a child's life. Although I pray daily for my children and I know God knows what I truly desire for them, I had difficulty choosing the right words to convey how I truly feel. This book amazingly fills in the gaps. I particularly like the prayers on securing protection from harm, feeling loved and accepted, enjoying a life of health and healing, instilling the desire to learn, identifying God-given gifts and talent, enjoying freedom from fear, and receiving a sound mind. This is one prayer book that any parent should have.

No comments: