Nuffnang

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Kid Imposed No-TV Rule

My kids do not watch television on a regular, daily basis. In fact, they watch only once every three months or even less and only for a short period, the longest at one hour. I did not impose this no-TV rule. It started as a demand from my eldest, Isabelle, who at 1, developed this unreasonable fear of the TV. I recall this started when she saw the villains in the cartoon-movie, Barbie of Swan Lake. Since then, she refused to watch any shows on TV. The only shows she watches are the kiddie cartoons on Nick, Jr. and only if my youngest, Ilysse, requests that they watch TV. Other than Ilysse' seldom craving for the TV, I am thankful that my kids do not have an addiction to the idiot box.

You may wonder what Isabelle and Ilysse' schedule would be like without this ever-present gadget in their lives. During school days, their afternoons are filled with studying, playing, biking, drawing, writing, art and craft activities, and weekly piano lessons, without a minute of TV viewing. Their weekends are all about music and gymnastic classes, reading, visiting grandparents, playing with their cousins, swimming, going to the bookstore, limited computer time, occasional children's parties, or simply having fun with the family, again, without the need of turning on the TV. Andrew could not even watch his favorite shows on TV on a weekend since the kids would be the first to object. "No TV, Daddy," or "TV is not good for you, Daddy," they would often say.

What do I get from this unusual situation in our household? Aside from lower electric bills, my girls' full attention and a daily dose of pleasant surprises which I would definitely not have experienced if they were glued to the TV.

1 comment:

Cascia Talbert said...

Good for you! I wish my kids didn't watch TV that often. Sometimes turning the television on is the only way I can get my son to hold still. He has a long attention span for a 14 month old and can watch long TV shows. He likes Playhouse Disney. I need to learn from you and try to find other activities for my children.

Cascia