Nuffnang

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Children, Visualization, and the Chihuahua

I recently bought my daugthers, Isabelle and Ilysse, the book, "More Nigthlights, Stories for You to Read to Your Child To Encourage Calm, Confidence and Creativity" by Anne Civardi, Joyce Dunbar, Kate Petty, and Karen Wallace with an introduction from David Fontana. The book's appeal hinges not only on its captivating drawings but the novelty of the topic it seeks to promote, meditation and visualization in children. I have been perpetually amazed by the workings of a child's brain and its almost unfathomable capacity to store and assimilate information. I just could imagine what more it can do if the child learns how to meditate and visualize.

My children love the stories in the book but they love doing the visualizations more. Since I got the book a week ago, we have been reading the stories, and doing the breathing and visualization exercises daily before they go to bed at night. I have yet to see the benefits of this daily regimen on my daughters. But, for now, I am glad that they have warmly received this new experience.

When Isabelle asked me what visualization is, I simply told her that it is picturing something in your mind with your eyes closed and seeing it as if it is real. She told me that she already knows how to do it because she always pictures in her mind the chihuahua that she has been wanting for so long. And, when she asked me if she visualizes everyday, will she be getting the chihuahua of her dreams, I had no choice but to say a firm, resounding, "Of course."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When Isabelle gets her (real) Chihuahua make sure to keep it away from the snow monster!